Sault Ste. Marie
NO PART OF THE FOLLOWING
ARTICLE AND PHOTOGRAPHS
MAY BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT
PERMISSION FROM THE AUTHOR ©
(May also have been spelled "Point a Par")
Sometime around 1900-1920 the point of land separating Marks Bay from the St. Mary's River was known as Pointe aux Pars. There were beaches on both sides with trees in between, and In the middle was a hotel. Near a dock there was a dance hall with a hardwood floor and a bowling alley. In summers some families would tent-camp in the area and Sunday School picnics would sometimes be held. Access was by a poor-quality road, about 18 km from town, but more common transportation was by boat from downtown docks.
The area is now known as Point a Pins, and there does not seem to be any public beach. It contains cottages or summer homes, most of which appear to actually be year-round residences.
|Thanks to Tim Covell of Ottawa, Ontario for suggesting this park and providing the write-up.|
Return to the
Closed Canadian Parks Index